Friday, December 1, 2017

I hope I didn't give your dog a concussion (Nov 29)















Hello everyone!

It was a good week.

I'll start with my shining moment. We were talking to this guy as he propped open his door. We were having a super awesome discussion until his tiny little wiener dog ran out. He was like ah crap, he is going to run away! So I grabbed him to be the hero. All was great. Until I started to put the dog back inside. It was an awkward angle to put the dog through the screen door and into the regular door. I ended up accidentally banging the dog's head against the door frame. It made the loudest "BANG" sound I've ever heard. Hahahaha it was so incredibly embarrassing and I felt so bad. The dude said the dog was fine, I sure hope so! Nothing like first impressions with the Mormons, right?

Thanksgiving was fun, holidays are special on a mission. This year we all got permission to participate in a turkey bowl (football) for up to 2 hours. We played with 2 wards and a bunch of missionaries, it was SO FUN! We had district meeting afterwards. Later in the day we had thanksgiving dinner with the newly called bishop and his family! I thought I'd make it another thanksgiving without having to talk about dating. ... I was wrong! They had some extended family over from a near by ward and the first thing they talked to me about was going home to BYU and them wanting me to meet their son
😕 it was super awkward but oh well! I still love their family!

We went to the Catholic mass with an investigator. It was kinda scary but it was cool. She came to church with us afterwards. She was amazed at how much we learned and how much interaction there was and how happy everyone was. Go figure?

I wanted to share a cool experience this week that is a testimony that angels are around us. We were biking on a pretty dark and fast road. We were going uphill and it was around a big curve. There wasn't a bike lane so we were on the edge of the road along the white line. Everything was fine until the cars stopped coming and it was dark. Our skimpy bike lights weren't enough to see the road. I was in front and my front tire went off the road and onto the gravel on the side. There was probably a 6 inch height difference from the road to the gravel. I regained control of my bike for a second, but when I turned to get back onto the road, my tire wouldn't go up. I ended up losing balance and fell off my bike onto the busy one lane road. Sister Herrera was close behind and by the time she saw what was happening, it was too late. She ran into me and rolled over me and my bike. We layed in the road for like .02 seconds when a car came from around the corner. I grabbed Sister Herrera and shoved her off the road, then I yelled, "our bikes!" and we were able to grab them and pull them off the road right in time. The bike I was borrowing (mine is at a member's getting the brakes worked on) got a little damaged and I had to carry it up the rest of the hill to a light where we could work on it. Thankfully we were able to fix everything on our own and it works good as new. The only physical damage was done to my tights (RIP) and a relatively small bruise and scrape on my knee. God was watching out for us in so many ways! Don't worry mom, we only have one more week of biking.

We have had some cool things happen because of Facebook!

We had a referral from the Assistants. We contacted her last week and taught part of the restoration. She asked so many awesome questions and is super ready for the gospel! She asked things like, "how do I pray?" "Where do I get a Book of Mormon? We looked at a second hand book store and couldn't find it, do we need to order it online?" "Does your church do baptisms?" And so on. After our lesson, she posted this on Facebook: "Ahhh such a cool experience with my lady missionaries." It's been about a week and so far she's had only positive reactions to it!

Then another.

There was a lady we met a few weeks ago who we had a nice discussion with. She wasn't interested but was really nice. Fast forward to yesterday : we were following up with a potential and ended up meeting a former instead. These two ladies are friends and the one had seen that the other posted something really kind about our visit on Facebook. It softened her heart and prepared her for us to come today and start teaching her again!

Don't you love when people do online proselyting for you? This is what Facebook is supposed to do!

In my setting apart, there were a lot of really cool promises. I looked through notes from it the other week and saw that almost all of them have been fulfilled! In fact, there was only one that I wasn't sure of happening so far. The notes said something like this: "as you go about, you will have many others on the other side who will accompany you in the work. Recognize that you are working with them. You are the mouth piece, and they provide a source of power." I prayed that I would be able to have an experience where I can recognize this. A week or two later, we were looking for an apartment number that we could not find anywhere. We saw a guy walking around outside and asked if he knew where it was. He was just visiting his daughter so he didn't have a clue, but he called her out from inside to show us where it was. She was super nice and helpful! We got talking about her faith and she said they're working on it. Her mom came out and brought her a jacket because it was cold. Her mom looked at me and asked the daughter who I looked like. She said she was trying to figure it out. Then her mom said I looked like Monica, her sister who passed away 2 years ago. They were almost in tears as they stared at me for a kind of awkward minute or so. I could feel the power that came from the other side, it was amazing. We talked about the plan of salvation and where her sister is. They loved it and have actually been working on their faith. We will be back! I love that God fulfills ALL His promises.

I love being a missionary and being in Ohio! Today we got to go to COSI (center of science and industry) with one of my all time favorite member families from Marysville, the Cottles! It was a super cool science museum!

My weeks left are few, mark your calendars for my homecoming talk!
Sunday December 17th at 9:00 am
1122 Grand Ave, Provo, UT

Sister Barnes

DONT FORGET TO PARTICIPATE IN THE LIGHT THE WORLD CHRISTMAS
INITIATIVE! Go to Mormon.org.

(And if you knew Elder and Sister Dabb from campus, their homecoming
talk is at 1:00 on December 31st at 1282 W 1875 N, Farmington, UT,
spread the word!)

Pics
His was our our thanksgiving meal!
The district
All the missionaries who played in the turkey bowls
Thanksgiving dinner!
The temple
St Andrews
It's CHRISTMAS
Basic mission pic
Cosi
I lifted a car (thanks to some levers and stuff)

No comments:

Post a Comment